Gas Safe Register has launched a campaign encouraging people to avoid using illegal fitters or doing any unsafe DIY repairs when working with gas appliances and we explain why you should care.
What is the Gas Safe register?
Replacing CORGI registration in 2009, the Gas Safe Register became the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register, but there are unregistered gas workers out there.
How can I tell if an engineer is registered?
All Gas Safe registered engineers carry a Gas Safe Register ID card. Before any gas work is carried out always check the card and make sure the engineer is qualified for the work you need doing.
How can I keep my family safe?
Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
Protect yourself and your family from the dangers by following these simple steps:
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliances
- Get your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm
- Check for warning signs such as lazy yellow flames or black marks or stains around the appliance.
- Know the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
Always ask for a Gas Safe registered engineer and always ask to see their ID card. Check it, don’t risk it! If you suspect anyone to be working illegally report them to Gas Safe Register. For more information and to find and check an engineer go to www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500
Remember – Don’t Cut Corners and always use a Gas Safe registered engineer for any gas work.
We aim to get it right the first time, every time. All our engineers are registered and ready to help. If you need a helping hand why not give us a ring on 0191 516 6911. For more information you can also visit our website: https://www.arktekheating.co.uk/